Headway 'A New Me' Event10/05/2017 - 10/05/2017We will be holding ‘A New Me’ Event as part of Action...Read more
Hats4Headway12/05/2017 - 12/05/2017Hats4Headway is a simple and fun way to raise money...Read more
Dragon Boat Race24/06/2017Racing the Dragon at Cosmeston Lake A full day of fun...Read more
Objectives of the Charity
To promote understanding of all aspects of acquired brain injury and to provide information, support and services to people with acquired brain injury, their families and carers.
• To increase awareness and understanding of acquired brain injury (ABI) and its consequences
• To provide information and support for people with ABI, their families and carers and professional people
• To promote improved approaches to brain injury screening, acute care, assessment, rehabilitation and community reintegration
• To assist people with ABI to maximise their independence
• To support those with ABI so that they can attain the highest possible quality of life
Headway Cardiff was conceived by a small group of therapists and family members at the neuro-rehabilitation hospital, Rookwood in 1985. It was a response to the recognition that survivors of brain injury and their families needed help and support to adapt to the traumatic events and the changes they have experienced, so they can resume active and fulfilling lives.
It began simply as a support group, meeting informally, just once a month. Since then it has evolved in an attempt to meet the subtle and varied needs of people in south-east Wales affected by acquired brain injury.
It has grown to try and fill the significant gaps in specialist statutory community services for people following their discharge from hospital and to provide the life-long support that is so badly needed.
In 1997, Headway Cardiff became a Registered Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee. Until this time, it was run on an entirely voluntary basis and was a branch of Headway UK.
Simultaneously, a successful funding application to the National Lottery meant that significantly, Headway Cardiff was now able to employ a member of staff for the first time. Wendy Mayle, a hugely influential figure in the development of Headway Cardiff was appointed as Coordinator, a post she held until 2004.
We receive no statutory core funding but Cardiff & Vale University Health Board provide us with office space and use of the Recreation Hall 4 days a week at Rookwood Hospital. This is not only of significant financial benefit to us, but also enables us to work in a joined-up way with statutory Neuro-science services, improving the patient experience and long-term outcomes
We are an ‘Approved Day Care Provider’ for 10 local authorities in south-east Wales, along with the Local Health Boards who fund a small proportion of our service users.
Headway Cardiff currently has 7 full-time and 5 part-time members of staff who are employed by its Board of Trustees.
Alongside the paid staff, it is vital that the contribution of past and present Volunteers is not under-estimated. Headway Cardiff relies heavily on its team of around 40 highly skilled and committed volunteers to deliver its services.
We receive no statutory core funding.
85% of our Day Centre placements are funded by Local Authority Spot Contracts (individually arranged), 8% by Local Health Continuing Health Care, 5% privately funded and 2% are un-funded.
Approximately 65% of the required funding to provide our services comes through our contracts with funding authorities, meaning that every year we have to raise the remaining 35% (which currently equates to approximately £95,000 per annum).
Additionally, funds are required to expand the existing provision and pilot new services.